Department of Ultrasound Diagnostics
To start the correct treatment of any disease, it is necessary first to establish the diagnosis. Today medicine has many different methods and ways of diagnostic examination, however, ultrasound diagnostics (USD) is considered to be the most affordable.
It is quite simple to perform Ultrasound examination and it does not cause discomfort to the patient, it does not accompanied by radial load, it does not require special training of the patient, it is not invasive.
This allows reuse ultrasonic diagnostics method for diagnosis and as well as for monitoring of the effectiveness of treatment. Ultrasound diagnostics is also a screening method to identify the needs of patient in other such additional methods of examination as X-ray, CT, MRI or other to define the accurate diagnosis. In addition, ultrasound diagnostics used for imaging during some invasive procedures as for example a biopsy.
Ultrasound Department of Erebouni Medical Center is equipped with modern high-expert level equipment and multi-frequency transducers: wideband beam forming, super fine images, ultra-high resolution, the second tissue harmonic and tissue Doppler, which make possible to detect fine structures, the precise definition of their internal structure, getting a clear picture of tiny structures and surrounding tissues. This greatly increases the efficiency of diagnosis and differential diagnosis, detection of disease at an earlier stage which allows planning the treatment with consideration of the specific clinical requirements.
In the Ultrasound Diagnostics Department the highly qualified specialists in the field of radiology are working. They had passed their training, specialization and qualification improvement in abroad in CIS countries, EU (Austria, France, Germany), USA and have many years of experience in this field.
In the department of Ultrasound Diagnostics a diagnostics of a wide range of different organ systems diseases are carried out.
Ultrasound examination of the abdomen and retroperitoneal space.
It is a diagnostic ultrasound examination of the abdominal organs, both for diagnosis and for monitoring the effectiveness of the treatment: liver, gallbladder and bile ducts, spleen, pancreas, kidneys, adrenal glands, ureter, bladder, prostate, aorta, vena cava inferior, portal vein. Abdominal ultrasound can not only examine in detail the functional and anatomical peculiarities of the organs and systems of the patient's abdomen, but also to trace the development of the disease. Due to abdominal ultrasound it is possible not only to define the exact size and structure of all abdominal organs, but also to reveal the presence of any inflammatory lesions, tumors or concrement.
Ultrasound examination of the abdomen usually performed in the presence of complaints:
- occurrence of the feeling of heaviness and the "fullness" in the stomach after food consumption,
- bitter taste in the mouth,
- increased level of meteorism;
- onset of pain in the abdomen;
- after hepatitis B, A, C;
- presence of acute pain or feeling of heaviness in the right subcostal area (hypochondrium).
Ultrasound diagnostic examination also indicated to monitor the dynamics of the previously diagnosed diseases such as:
- chronic or acute cholecystitis;
- chronic or acute pancreatitis;
- hepatic cirrhosis;
- gynecological diseases
- kidney and urinary system diseases
- tumors (benign or malignant);
- abdominal aortic aneurysm
- renal arteries stenosis.
Acute abdominal pain are also an indication for abdominal ultrasound.
Ultrasound in gynecology and pregnancy.
Ultrasound examination in gynecology allows determination of women's reproductive system diseases at an early stage, even before clinical manifestations, which enables its effective treatment. Therefore, to preserve women's health and begin timely treatment it is essential to have periodic examinations once a year.
In the Department of Ultrasound Diagnostics we perform ultrasound examinations to evaluate and assess the condition of the cervix, uterus, ovaries state, parauterine space, ligaments, as well as to diagnose the pregnancy at its early stage. Because of safety of ultrasound method to a fetus, it is possible multiple times repeat it without risk for fetus to monitor its condition in case of complicated pregnancy.
Ultrasound in gynecology is aimed at:
diagnosis of gynecological diseases
- abnormalities of the uterus,
- endometrial pathology,
- identification of polyps, cancerous and precancerous formations of the uterus, ovaries,
- chronic inflammatory gynecological diseases
- for early detection of pelvic organs diseases,
- identification of possible complications after childbirth and abortion
determining ovulation and assessment of its characteristics
- folliculometry - identification or lack of follicle maturation in patients with infertility
pregnancy diagnosis (including its early stages) and its monitoring
- study the anatomy of the fetus,
- early detection of fetal anomalies,
- monitoring of the fetus development,
- doppler of the vessels of utero-placental-fetal complex
Ultrasound in kidney and urinary tract diseases.
In the department of ultrasound diagnostics the ultrasound examination of the kidneys and urinary tract is performed to determine changes in the renal parenchyma (focal changes, cysts, swelling), which cannot be detected radiographically. Detecting of organ's topographic changes, presence of tumors and concrements and definition of urodynamics and other disturbances is also carried out. Doppler examination allows evaluating the state of the renal vessels.
The indications for ultrasound examination of the kidneys and urinary tract are:
- pain in the lumbar region,
- urination disorders,
- urine analysis abnormalities (the presence of protein, bacteria, salts, etc.)
- changes in urine characteristics (color, odor, clarity).
- frequent headaches combined with high blood pressure that is difficult to manage;
- presence of peripheral edema, eyelids' pastosity and puffiness of face, leg edema;
Due to high experience of department's specialists and high quality equipment the diagnostics of ureter concrement is also performed.
Ultrasound examination of the scrotum and prostatе
An ultrasound of the scrotum (testes, epididymis and testicles sheath, spermatic cord) is performing to evaluate its degree of maturity, size and structure, identify possible diseases and pathological processes. With the help of Doppler ultrasound our specialists are able to determine the degree of blood flow in the testicle twists. The ultrasound method is Indispensable when you need to diagnose testicular cancer. With the ultrasound diagnostics it is possible to evaluate the blood circulation characteristics in case of injuries of the scrotum.
The indications for ultrasound of the scrotum with Doppler of vessels are:
- pain in the area of the scrotum;
- swelling of testicle (painless or painful), scrotum, epididymis;
- decreased libido, erectile dysfunction;
- problems of conception
- trauma of the scrotum
- inflammatory processes;
- testicular tumors;
- testicular torsion;
- cryptorchidism - absence of one testicle in the scrotum;
- varicocele - testicular veins.
Ultrasound examination of prostate conducted to
- diagnose the prostate diseases,
- identify prostate enlargement and evaluate its size to plan the treatment
- diagnose the prostate tumors
- help in identifying the causes of male infertility.
Prostate ultrasound reveals the lesion, measure the size of the prostate, and thus provide important information for the early detection of cancer. Therefore, to save men's health it is essential to have periodical ultrasound examination, which will provide early detection and timely treatment of disease.
Ultrasound department of Erebouni MC is the only one in Armenia, where, due to a combination of expert class equipment, experience and highly qualified specialists and personnel a lot of experience in emergency ultrasound diagnostics is accumulated also. It regards to diagnosis of such emergency condition as acute intestinal obstruction, complicated appendicitis, Crohn's disease, sigmoiditis, bowel diverticulitis and other conditions related to difficult to diagnose diseases for the ultrasound.
The department is equipped with modern ultrasound equipment:
- Acuson x500
- Sonoline G-60
- Siemens Acuson X 700
The D3 printer of the latest Sonoline G-60 ultrasound system from Siemens gives possibilities to take pictures of the fetus and internal organs in three dimensions.
The modern ultrasound systems with the high sensitivity printer allows to perform the following studies:
- doppler study of the fetus (3D),
- a study of the abdomen incase of gastrointestinal tract pathology,
- examination of the pelvic cavity,
- examination of the thyroid gland,
- examination of the retroperitoneal space when the cancer of kidney or pancreas is suspected,
- examination of kidney to define the reason of urodinamic disturbances
- study of mammary glands,
- pregnancy monitoring,
- examination of the joints,
- examination of the peripheral vessels
|Suren Petrosyan, MD Write a letter Head of Department of Ultrasound Diagnostics radiologist|
|Naira Martirosyan, MD Write a letter radiologist||Anyuta Ohanyan, MD Write a letter sonographist|
|Marine Djanoyan, MD Write a letter radiologist||Arpine Aghababyan, MD Write a letter radiologist|
|Narine Mkrtchyan Write a letter sonographist|
Department of Radiodiagnostics
Employees engaged in teaching activities
Assistant Proffessor Annie Ohanian
Around 40 students in a year are trained in the field of Radiodiagnostics at the Bachelor and Master degrees program from the Armenian Medical Institute (AMI).
- 07.07.2010 - 07.08.2010 - Ultrasound examination of the abdomen, thyroid, breast