Stroke care isn't a one-time event. It's comprehensive from prevention to recovery.
Phase 1: Reduce risk 80% of strokes are preventable.
Take action now:
- Eat healthy and exercise.
- Don't smoke or do drugs.
- Keep blood pressure and cholesterol in check.
Phase 2: Act F.A.S.T. Watch out for:
- Face drooping.
- Arm not responding.
- Speech slurred or impaired.
- Time. Call 911 right away.
- People who get to the ER within 3 hours after first symptoms have less disability 3 months later.
Phase 3: Get treatment Acute stroke requires immediate treatment:
- Clot-busting drugs
- Clot removal with a tool inserted into blood vessels
- Emergency surgery to remove blood from brain
- Prevent future stokes.
Medications Lifestyle changes Angioplasty or stenting to open blocked vessels Phase 4: Recover Regain quality of life after stroke.
- Physical, occupational, speech therapy
- Emotional support from therapists, groups
- Advanced stroke care requires: