Pregnant women with various obstetric problems receive treatment in the High-risk Pregnancy Department of MC Erebouni.
There are a number of factors that allow a gynecologist to attribute pregnancy to a high-risk group. Among them are the following:
• Pathology of the mother before pregnancy, including any chronic illness such as diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, coagulopathy, obesity and anorexia, epilepsy, congenital malformations of the uterus.
• Undesirable consequences of previous pregnancies: slow fetal development, hypertension as a consequence of pregnancy, abnormal fetal development during previous pregnancy, premature birth, miscarriages, multiple abortions.
• Multiple pregnancy, abnormal fetal development, obviously slow fetal development, risk of premature birth, placental insufficiency.
On average, about 2,000 pregnant women are examined and treated in the department every year. In recent years, there has been a tendency to increase the number of high-risk pregnant women applying to the department.
Pregnant women with the following obstetric pathologies are examined and treated in the department.
• risk of miscarriage
• risk of premature birth
• pregnancies ending with miscarriage
• pregnant women with hereditary and acquired thrombophilia.
Pregnant women with hypertension, including preeclampsia, are also being examined and treated in the department. Optimal terms and methods are being developed in the department for the delivery of such patients.
In the High-risk Pregnancy Department pregnant women with uterine fibroids, ovarian tumors and other gynecological pathologies are examined and treated, as well as pregnant women with a diagnosis of intrauterine underdevelopment, fetoplacental insufficiency. Correction of isthmic cervical insufficiency is performed surgically or by obstetrical pessary installation. In the High-risk Pregnancy Department employs highly qualified obstetricians and gynecologists who have been retrained abroad.