Traumatology is the branch of medicine dealing with the treatment of injuries, including fractures, contusions, concussions, sprains, crush syndromes and wounds. The injury is the first cause of death in the population under the age of 40-years, and the third in all age groups. The main causes of injury are car accidents, work accidents, violence and terror.The contemporary traumatology uses conservative and surgical methods of treatment. In many cases of damage of the musculoskeletal system there is an objective reason for hospital treatment.
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology of Erebouni Medical Center provides the treatment of all types of injuries, congenital and acquired defects of the musculoskeletal system. Department is equipped with modern operating theater where performed high-tech surgery on routine base, including emergency cases. The clinic uses contemporary methods and technologies for the treatment that developed by the world's leading specialized associations (AO / ASIF, AAOS, etc.). The department performs about 1400 and more orthopedic surgeries per year, such as hip replacement, knee replacement, arthroscopy of large joints (hip, knee, shoulder and ankle), corrective osteotomy and musculo-tendinous plastic surgery in congenital and acquired defects of musculoskeletal apparatus.
During total hip arthroplasty the complete replacement of hip joint to an artificial is performed. This type of surgery is a high-tech and provided by highly qualified specialists of department.
The main indications for total hip replacement are:
- Osteoarthritis of the hip joint at stage III and IV
- Cervical hip fracture
- False joint of cervix hip bone
- Fracture of whirlbone
- Aseptic (avascular) necrosis of whirlbone Hip joint dysplasia
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Cancer of the hip joint
Total knee replacement is performed with the aim of:
– Elimination of pain
– Restore the range of motion in the knee joint
– Recovery of support ability of the lower limb
The main indications for total knee arthroplasty are:
- Osteoarthritis of the knee joint at stage III and IV
- Aseptic (avascular) necrosis of the femoral and / or tibial condyle
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Cystoid restructuring of the femur and / or tibia condyles
- periarticular tumors of the femur and / or tibia
Fractures are treated with the most modern methods: the system DHS - DCS, LCP locking plate, blocking nail, closed anterograde osteosynthesis of large tubular bones, etc.
Department has extensive experience in the treatment of severe polytrauma. It is also performed limb lengthening and replacement of large bone defects using the Ilizarov fixator.
The department also carried out highly specialized surgery of the foot and ankle, hallux vagus (curvatures of the 1st toe), deformation of fingers, acquired deformities of the foot and ankle, injuries and diseases of tendons, fractures heels.
The specialist of the department regularly visit various regions of the country to provide specialized trauma care on the spot, to conduct seminars, as well as engage in a program of disaster medicine and emergency treatment not only in Armenia, but also abroad (Iran, Indonesia), cooperating with international organizations AAOS , SICOT, ATOM, and others.Department's specialists are actively involved in the Association of Traumatology and Orthopedics of Armenia, as well as other specialized international organizations.
In 2015, signed an agreement on cooperation in the field of orthopedics with a known "Coxa" Clinic (Tampere, Finland).
The priorities of the department are:
- hip replacement,
- knee replacement,
- arthroscopy of large joints (hip, knee, shoulder and ankle)
- corrective osteotomy and musculo-tendinous plastic of congenital and acquired defects of the musculoskeletal system
- bone fractures
- lengthening of the limbs
- replacement of large bone defects
- Anesthesiology Department
- General & Thoracic Surgery Department
- General & Laparoscopic Surgery Department
- Minimal Invasive Surgery Department
- Aesthetic & Maxillofacial Surgery Department
- Coloproctology Department
- Endocrine Surgery Department
- ENT Department
- Plastic Surgery and Microsurgery Department
- Urology Department
- Traumatology & Orthopaedic Department
- Vascular Surgery Department
- Mammology and Breast surgery Service
- Wound and Lymphedema Management and Treatment Service